Another great free antivirus program is called Antivir. It does not take up a lot of system resources and is excellent at quarantining viruses and other malware. However, like all other antivirus products, there may be times when you need to uninstall or remove it. Corrupted virus signatures have caused it not to update properly, or it wont start properly and it needs to be reinstalled. Maybe corrupted files are causing 100% CPU usage. These and other issues can cause you to uninstall and reinstall your antivirus product.
Whatever the reason for needing to uninstall Antivir, I've listed the best procedure for doing this below:
Normal UninstallThe first thing you want to try is to locate AntiVir in the Add/Remove Control Panel and try to remove it from there. Follow these instructions to accomplish this.
1) Click on Start, Control Panel
2) Open Add/Remove Programs
3) Find AntiVir in the Programs list and highlight it
4) Click Remove and follow the prompts to uninstall Antivir
What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed
One issue with AntiVir will cause it to still show up in the Windows Security Center even when its been uninstalled properly. If this is the case, please refer to this article to resolve it.
Using the AntiVir Registry CleanerIf for some reason the normal uninstall does not work, you may have to download AntiVir's registry cleaner utility to remove all traces of it from the registry and allow you to reinstall it.
1) Click on the following link to visit the Avira Download Page and download the AntiVir Registry Cleaner to your desktop
2) Create a folder on your desktop called Antivir and Unzip the file to your desktop
3) Double-click on the file called RegCleaner.exe to run it
4) Since the program is German, you'll have to click on the button called "keys asulesen" to search the registry for any issues. Then place checkmarks next to the registry entries you wish to delete.
5) Finally, click on the button called "loschen" to delete the keys
6) Restart your computer and try to reinstall your antivirus